BSD Community Committees
Many committees and task forces assist the District in decision-making about maintenance, finance, cost containment, and facilities planning. Committee members have expertise in related areas and the District enlists their help in reviewing data, developing plans, and making recommendations. The valuable insight provided by these individuals has been crucial to the sound decisions made by the Board and staff, reflected in the District’s best practices and ongoing commitment to stewardship.
District Finance Committee
The purpose of the District Finance Committee is to ensure that taxpayer funds are used as effectively and efficiently as possible by reviewing the financial practices of the District and reporting findings and recommendations for improvement to the Board of Education. Five independent citizen members with training and expertise in the analysis, oversight, and management of budgets are appointed to the committee, as well as one member of the Board of Education and one building principal. The committee meets on the second Wednesday of each month at 1 p.m.
- William H. Major, Vice President, Wilmington Trust Co.
- Barbara Schoenberg, CPA, LLC Owner
- Victor Ferzetti, Director of Finance, Delaware River and Bay Authority
- David Adkins, Former BSD Board Member
- Susan Koski
- Joseph Brumskill, BSD Board Member
- Lynn Sharps, Principal, Lombardy Elementary School
Renovations Oversight Committee
The Renovations Oversight Committee was formed to support and assist the District in overseeing school renovation projects, and to review information and make recommendations to the Board of Education. Members of the committee contribute outstanding expertise and professional knowledge to the renovations process. The ROC meets on the first Monday of each month at 7 p.m.
- Edward Capodanno, Co-Chair, Associated Builders and Contractors
- John Skrobot, Co-Chair, Project Manager, Delaware Building Trades
- Jim Carney, Vice President, Citizens Bank
- Michele Fontana, Community Representative
- Lee Heck, Patterson Schwartz
- Craig Gilbert, Former BSD Board Member
District Equity Leadership Committee
The purpose of the District Equity Leadership Committee is to ensure that a level of cultural proficiency exists to eliminate racial disparity and close the achievement gap. Members of the committee contribute outstanding expertise and professional knowledge in developing strong equity leadership at the district and school levels.
District Parent Council
This committee includes representatives from each school. It meets monthly to plan district-wide PTA events and provide feedback to the superintendent and administration. To get involved, please email Dorrell Green
. The Parent Council meets on the third Tuesday of each month during the school year at 7 p.m.
2012 Referendum Accountability Committee
Formed in 2012 after the successful passage of an operating referendum, this committee is tasked with ensuring that taxpayer funds approved in the 2012 Operating Referendum are used as promised. Specific charges to the committee include: (1) ensuring that the Brandywine School District delivers on the commitments made as a result of the Operating Referendum of March 2012; (2) ensuring that clear and concise communication is presented to the BSD community regarding referendum initiatives; and (3) if any deviations from the referendum plan become necessary, recommending those changes to the School Board for approval.
The RAC will meet a minimum of three times per school year, unless additional meetings are deemed necessary. The members, listed below, will serve for the duration of the 2012 Operating Referendum or until the next operating referendum becomes necessary.
- Marty Tracy
- Cyndi Lehm
- Carrie Casey
- James Hanby
- Chuck Landry
- Pastor David Pope
- Olivia Johnson-Harris
- Joe Brumskill
- John Skrobot
- Karen Gordon
- Bill O'Hanlon
- Dr. Mark Holodick
- Alexis Andrianopoulos
- Ashley Dalzell-Gray
Brandywine Special Needs PTA
The Brandywine Special Needs PTA is the only one of its kind in the state of Delaware that is specifically focused on this core group of children and their families. By offering support, education, socialization and advocacy for children with special needs, their families, educators and the involved community, the Brandywine Special Needs PTA continues to build a strong forum for this community. The mission of the Brandywine Special Needs PTA is:
• To work together with the school district to provide the best education experience possible for all children with special needs.
• To provide a local community support group for parents, guardians and educators of children with special needs.
• To be a resource of information on available special services.
• To provide information about community programs.
• To provide education and support for the community at large.
Communications and Marketing Committee
The Communications and Marketing Committee meets with the superintendent and other administrators to help develop and steer the district's communications plan, which is updated annually. Members contribute their expertise and experience in marketing and communications, web design, community relations, and/or graphic design. To get involved, please email Alexis Andrianopoulos at: firstname.lastname@example.org
. The CMC meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m.
Joseph Brumskill, BSD Board Member
Michael Falstad, BSD Board Member
- Leslie McGuigan, Community Representative
Jeff Olmstead, Community Representative
- Debra Jackson Spence, Community Representative
- Phyllis Wooley-Roy, BSD Teacher
- Dorrell Green, Assistant Superintendent
- Alexis Andrianopoulos, Public Information Officer
- Ashley Dalzell-Gray, Family and Community Liaison
Other committees are formed for special issues, as needed.